Thursday, January 3, 2013

Sweet Spiced Walnuts

One of the best recipes that came out of our holiday adventures showed up for Thanksgiving. These candied walnuts were amazing. Frankly, they are putting our second year of marriage on good footing.

We both just survived, by a hair, the plague. Our flight to Reno was on a hot and tightly packed airplane, and the air blowing in my face left me with a serious sniffle 48 hours later. It didn't help that I had managed to get seriously dehydrated, but nonetheless, I was the recipient of a serious illness. I think it was actually this year's influenza (and I never managed to get my shot this fall), and I was down for the count. So much for vacation days that weren't spent moaning on my bed.

Even though the husband and I were both sick at the same time, it's so reassuring to have him near me when we are both suffering. I guess that's what together is for - sitting on opposite ends of the couch under blankets, whimpering from body aches and congestion, but keeping each other company.

Hopefully you are feeling healthy and happy? We're on our way up out of the dregs. Cheers to 2013!

If you want a sweet snack with a spicy kick, these are a winner. The egg white-sugar combination forms a chewy but firm crust on the outside of the walnuts, and it's a magical combination.



Last Year: Italian Ricotta: Casein Free
Two Years Ago: Easy Apple Coffee Cake
Three Years Ago: Orange Muffins with Fresh Cranberries
Four Years Ago: Peanut Butter Cup Cookies


Sweet Spiced Walnuts
based on Deb Perlman's version

1/3 cup dark-brown sugar
2/3 cup white granulated sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon of smoked paprika
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 pound walnuts
1 egg white, room temperature
1 tablespoon water

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Mix sugars, salt, paprika, and cinnamon; set aside. Lightly whip egg white and water, incorporating the two. Add walnuts, and stir to coat evenly. Sprinkle nuts with sugar mixture, and toss with a fork. Spread sugared nuts in a single layer on a covered baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from oven, and separate nuts as they cool. When completely cool, pour the nuts into a bowl, breaking up any that stick together.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    We’ve recently launched the website RecipesUS.com. It’s a search engine that aims to gather all the best recipes from US websites and blogs in one place. We’ve noticed that you have a lot of great looking recipes on your blog that we would love to feature on our site. To read more about how it all works and to sign up with your blog, please visit: http://recipesus.com or send us an email on info@recipesus.com. We look forward to hearing from you!

    Kind regards,
    Senka

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! :) Thanks for sharing the love. I just want to remind you that I don't accept spam comments. Cheers!

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs