Sunday, December 30, 2012

Top Recipes of 2012

What a wonderful year! 

We just got back from an excellent trip to Reno, Nevada to see some family. I wanted to give a shout out to some of your favorite recipes on the site this year! It's our first full year as married people, and it just gets better and better.

Two of the things that have gotten a lot of traffic this year include the discussion of Italian Ricotta Salata cheese (and it's casein-free status), and the summary of our trip to Los Angeles

Then, on to the recipes!




10. Mandarin and Marmalade Cookies
 These are an awesome all-pantry cookie that you can whip up in a flash without fussing around at the grocery store for specialty ingredients. The bright flavor is great for winter, and they are quick and easy.



9. Toasted Coconut Congo Bars
These are one of my favorites! They are ooey-gooey, and include lots of toasted things. Walnuts, coconut, and melty chips. The coconut oil keeps them nice and tender. In fact, we like them after they've been left out on the counter for a day or two and get a little crusty around the edges, but we actually like to do that with most of our baked goods. We recently did a get-to-know-you game at a work meeting, and I listed these as my favorite dessert (along with rhubarb pie). When the group guessed that it was me, one of my coworkers said "I knew it was you because you like unique desserts!" (I guess they are more unique than brownies or ice cream, which were other common answers.)


8. Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots
Yum! This year there were a multitude of favorite recipes that are orange in color, and this is one of them. I love easy side dishes that fill our need for a good veggie that's quick, easy, different, and we always have carrots in the fridge.


7. Spiced Carrot Cake with Orange Glaze
More carrots! We love this one, and we've made it more than once. The husband really likes cakes without a lot of frosting, and this fits the bill. I like that the frosting is bright with orange juice, and the cake is tender and contains toasted walnuts. There's a theme here on baking with toasted walnuts!



6. Honey Ginger Cookies with Candied Lemon
After making up candied lemons to go in some party cake, you've got to have a great way to use up more candied lemons! It's a nice bright, sweet combination that makes a great tender cookie.


5. Gluten Free Baked Onion Rings
Going too long without a trip to the Spin Cafe makes us want onion rings, and I was glad to find a way to make onion rings without the frying. Not that I don't like fried onion rings, it's just messy and we don't have a vent hood in the kitchen (someday!) These are quick and easy, especially with a food processor or blender to make fluffy bread crumbs.


4. Vegan Chocolate Silk Pie
This pie is insanely rich, but also really easy to make, and it features my favorite sweet pastry dough. (The only dough the husband asks about when I mention the word p-i-e.) This is perfect with a whipped coconut cream, or something else to lighten it up.



3. Hearty Beef Chili
This is the chili recipe we've been loving since before gluten left our lives. I'm glad I finally got a chance to put it out here for you to see. It's a great one - we keep it in our freezer too, for last minute weenie roasts (to make chili dogs), or quick warming bowls of chili after a long day at work.


2. Dairy Free Berry Ice Cream
Quick ice cream on a summer afternoon? Yes please. We're glad you like it too.


1. Ultimate Chicken Noodle Soup
I came home with sniffles from Reno, and we made this today to soothe my aches and pains. It's amazing how homemade stock makes my throat feel better. One of those lovely mysteries I'm pleased to know about.


Top Recipes of 2011
Top 10 Gluten Free Recipes of 2010
Top 10 Recipes of 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! :) Thanks for sharing the love. I just want to remind you that I don't accept spam comments. Cheers!

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs