Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Deep Dark Chocolate Cake Recipe

We had a lunch meeting today at work, and ordered delivery food from Jason's Deli. On their website, they list all the allergens in their various menu items. I decided to choose a nutty salad with no chicken (it's marinated) and no dressing (don't like dressing much anyway). The delivery guy showed up at noon and we were able to continue with our meeting.

I didn't remember when I ordered it, but the salad is covered with feta cheese (oh, I miss feta.) Mostly, I don't really miss the dairy that I stopped eating 10 months ago. It was about the first three months that were the worst, when all I could think about was cheese. Some thick slices of Jarlsberg, creamy cream cheese frosting, some sour cream on my tacos. But it's not so bad now.

I picked around the edges of the salad, looking for pieces without cheese on them. I got a few big savory walnuts that really hit the spot, and a few big red grapes. I was poking around in the salad with my fork when I discovered a big piece of marinated chicken. Um, no thanks. I put the lid back on my salad, and moved swiftly to Plan B. The food I brought with me for lunch.

I find that bringing enough food with me, even if we're ordering for lunch, is always a good idea. Maybe just a few Kind bars in my work bag will do the trick. Today I had an Udi's Whole Grain bagel, a little container of ready-to-serve tuna in water, my mini pepper grinder (the tuna was a little bland last time), an orange, a giant English cucumber all sliced up, and some chocolate cake. I had already been planning to share the chocolate cake with my co-worker, a new Celiac.

I busted out the bagel and tuna and moved on with life. Breaking my emotional attachment to free food has been an adjustment for me. In college, I was the one who would go to campus just to get free pizza from a campus club, or go to the homecoming parade for the free donuts. Free food isn't really in my future much anymore, but it's worth the trade not to have a foggy head and achy stomach all afternoon in my meeting.

My friend didn't fare quite as well with her lunch order. After about 30 minutes, she had a pinched, pained look on her face. I tossed her a bag of pain killer, and slid her a piece of chocolate cake. I think this stuff might mend the soul a bit.

It's moist, even after a few days, and plenty chocolatey. I didn't even make frosting for it, which makes it more transportable too. I topped it with just a sprinkle of powdered sugar, just to make it pretty.

Tomorrow is Chocolate Cake Day, and in honor of the special occasion, we've had this cake several times already in the last few days. This month's Go Ahead Honey, It's Gluten Free, hosted by the lovely Lauren of Celiac Teen, is all about January's food holidays. I already passed up Hot & Spicy Food Day (January 16) and National Shortbread Day (January 6) just so I could share this cake with you.

Last Year: Teriyaki Bacon-Chicken-Pineapple Skewers
Two Years Ago: Simple Chicken Noodle Soup



Deep dark chocolate cake, sprinkled with powdered sugar and tossed together with some fresh blackberries.

Deep Dark Chocolate Cake
developed by Amy Perry, Twin Valley Mills Sorghum Flour recipes
[Printer Friendly]

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup sorghum flour from Twin Valley Mills
1/4 cup corn starch
3 tablespoons buckwheat flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 egg
1/2 cup hemp milk
1/4 cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup boiling water

In a large mixing bowl, stir together sugar, sorghum flour, corn starch, buckwheat flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and xanthan gum. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Beat on medium speed of electric mixer two minutes. Remove from mixer, stir in boiling water. Pour batter into prepared pans.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes for a 9 inch pan.

This recipe easily doubles to make two 9 inch pans, which could then be frosted as a layer cake. I made it smaller, and it was the perfect size.

7 comments:

  1. I think my mancub is allergic to the dairy I've been consuming, so I've stopped consuming it. I've been dairy free for like 3 days, and I think I might die. Will it really take a few months for me to get used to this?????? Blah. I just want some chocolate milk, yogurt, ice cream, sour cream, cottage cheese, cream cheese, any kind of cheese, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How ironic that I should see your post today! We had an event and I had ordered the same salad! I have been having these odd intestinal spasms all afternoon, and now I know why!

    It seems to me that the dressing is where the wheat/gluten lies in that salad. Luckily I used only a small bit.

    Thank you for the heads up! And the cake looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love sorghum and buckwheat together! They just work. I can't wait to give this cake a try. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! That cake could mend the soul :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gah, I wrote this whole comment out, but lost it somehow. So here it is again. Sorry if it shows up twice!

    Random Question: Did I miss the post when you want dairy free? And why hemp milk as opposed to soy/rice/almond, etc.? Also, can you drink Lactaid milk? I am lactose intolerant too, and drink Lactaid, but I have suspicions that it still makes me feel gross, but I might just be imagining things. Any insight on that? Anyway, sorry I have some many questions! Also, that cake looks AMAZING and also, I miss your face.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erin,

    It was in March when I went dairy free. No cheese :(. I like the hemp because it's thicker than other non-dairy milks, and actually has some protein. Almond/rice milks are more like sugar water, and the purpose of milk in baking is to get some structure from the protein and fat anyway. Hemp does have a strong taste though, so I bet most wouldn't like it on cereal, or as a drink. I really like using coconut milk for the added protein structure too.

    I'm actually sensitive to casein, which is the protein in milk, rather than the sugar (lactose.) My unprofessional opinion is that most people are actually sensitive to casein when they think it's lactose. Often, manufacturers add casein back into dairy-free products because it adds structure, and because they think the market is looking for lactose-free foods (like IMO sour cream). I actually do fine if it's baked into food - like I put sour cream in most of my muffin recipes. But melted cheese/cream cheese/solid cheese/sauces with milk in them - no way. I find that I literally get grouchy, sore, headachey, and mucousy within 10 minutes when I eat liquid milk or cheese. It just wasn't worth it for me anymore. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. MMMMMMMMM,..your deep dark chocolate ckae lokks just STUNNING!!

    I added you to my blogroll of foodies that I completely digg!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! :) Thanks for sharing the love. I just want to remind you that I don't accept spam comments. Cheers!

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs