Thursday, December 30, 2010

Top 10 Gluten Free Recipes of 2010

What a year it has been!

I wanted to sum up all the goodness we've had around here this year. I'm not the only one who chose a top ten set of recipes from the year. Karina decided to organize her favorites from this year as just that - her actual favorites. I decided to do mine by the stats - your favorites. Both ways are good. I just might be a stats nerd though. Iris of the Daily Dietribe chose her own favorites by month. Also cool. Last year's top 10 by me was also by stats. You can read about the top 10 from 2009 here.

There was definitely some more ethnic themes running through 2010. But then again, 2010 was a pretty ethnic year for me. I traveled to Italy, Sicily, Switzerland, Sweden, and Germany for work. Some were easier than others for eating gluten free, and one of my Italian recipes even made the top 10! (I love arancini!)

Other events from this year include me going dairy free (and feeling a big difference!), my new job, and therefore extensive traveling (gluten free plane flights), and several friends and family who were also diagnosed with Celiac.

10. Ginger Bars
These tangy little bars are sweet with molasses and a great winter food. They are almost like really soft gingerbread brownies, and dusted with powdered sugar, would be perfect for any gray day.

9. Double Crusted Apple Pie
Awww yeah. I was talking with the boy around Thanksgiving time about how my cooking skills and gluten free baking has improved each year, and how Thanksgiving is kind of the time when the mark of another year is most clear. This year - the crowning dish was this apple pie. I feel like it shows how far I've come this year. And when I gifted two of them around Christmas, a gluten eater didn't even know that the pie was gluten free and said "it's the best apple pie I've ever tasted." Wow. It will surely be on the menu for years to come, and thanks to Gluten Free Girl and the Chef for their Vegan Pie Crust, which works every time.

8. Mint Chocolate Cupcakes
I have a friend in the cupcake biz. She was having a cupcake tasting party, and with three Celiacs attending the small shebang, I decided to make some for us to eat. I made these and set them away from the others, and they were carefully labeled as gluten free. When the taste tasters did their ratings, these were near the top. I love the tender crumb of these cupcakes as well, a real winner.

Mint Chocolate Cupcakes


7. Orange Muffins with Fresh Cranberries 
These are from last winter, and they were so good when I baked them several times on cold days. I love the pop and tartness of the cranberries, then balanced with the sweet and tart of the oranges.

6. Arancini al Ragu, a Sicilian street food
These were a real win as well. My travel companions ate arancini when we were in Catania (Sicily), and I was so full from a seafood lunch that I had gelato for dinner that night. (I ate octopus that day - you would be full too!) I came home with a giant bag of Arborio rice in my suitcase, and wanted to replicate the arancini. We loved these, and hopefully all you Sicilians will too!

5. Nutella Brownie Bites
These are small and simple, and actually not very sweet. I watched an episode of Worst Cooks in America where they made a pannacotta with Nutella, and the judges didn't like it because it wasn't quite sweet enough. These are subtle and chocolately, but perfectly chewy. Nutella lovers, these are for you!

4. Basic Chocolate Cookies, or Chocolate Cookies two ways
Crinkle cookies, and marshmallow cookies both work well with this base. A former roommate of mine (hi E!) used to make chocolate crinkle cookies, and these were so delicious. These are based on her awesomeness!

Chocolate Crinkles


3. Kadu Bouranee (Afghan Pumpkin) Recipe
C made us a beautiful dinner of afghan pumpkin, and we all loved this. I even skipped the sauce when I ate it (because of the dairy), and it was still perfectly flavorful and filling.

2. Chocolate Chip Cookies
Love these! Everyone needs a good chocolate chip cookie recipe, and I think these fit the bill at my house. I loved chopping the chocolate to be a little smaller, so you had lots of little chocolate bits, rather than larger chips in each bite. These are a classic, and perfect for care packages.

Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies


1. Shredded Mexican Chicken
Often, we have a batch of this hanging out in the fridge, perfect for nachos or quick tacos. My (gluten eating) friend Sherry made this recipe, and she said they both really enjoyed it. It's always a compliment when Sherry thinks my food is tasty.


What a wonderful year. I'm looking forward to getting a CSA share again in 2011, and having so much wonderful produce on hand. (Now if I could just keep control over the compost pile, and the ever-threatening fruit flies in my kitchen.) Have a wonderful New Year, everyone!

Feel free to link up your 2010 favorite recipes in the comments!

3 comments:

  1. All this deliciousness makes it so hard to choose! Wishing you a healthy, tasty and happy New Year 2011! xox Karina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! I can see why these were readers' favorites! Going to add this to my top ten links.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post! I'm glad you did this because I somehow missed a couple of these recipes. I'm going to have to go back through your archives...after I try the arancini!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! :) Thanks for sharing the love. I just want to remind you that I don't accept spam comments. Cheers!

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs