Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Fresh Corn and Black Bean Salsa Recipe

I just finished reading Gretchen Rubin's The Happiness Project. Maybe I'm a little late (the online reviews of the book said that year-long experiments were so 2009.) Still, her 12 months of working towards being a happier person was inspiring. During the month of June, she chose to remember birthdays. I thought about that. Huh. I've not been very good the last few years of my life on the birthday front. So I sat down with a box of cards and took to it, including in my stack of things headed to the mailbox a pile of unpaid medical bills (sigh) and a few various cards to people who have been sick, or people I was thinking about.

And you know what? Totally worth it. Two of the "totally random" people-I-was-thinking-about cards have already brightened their lives, and they both called to tell me. It's not that I expect them too, or that I wouldn't feel happy if they didn't call me. It's more that feeling I get inside when I drop it into the mail slot, knowing they'll open their mailbox and get to read how much I love them. One of my greatest sources of happiness is taking care of other people, and spreading some sunshine into their lives.
Totally worth it.


Fresh Local Corn



Today was also CSA pickup, for the 6th week this summer. We missed last week, because we were at Camp. This week included ears of fresh corn, picked this morning, some huge red onions, cucumbers, summer squash, and some bumpy new potatoes. Very exciting! I am going to need to hit the grocery store tonight for fruit though, because I have yet to go shopping since we returned. Heck, I was doing well to get a few loads of laundry done from the trip! I set about this afternoon making some black bean and corn salsa, using both the fresh ears of corn and some of the beautiful red onions.



2010 CSA week 6


The salsa is much more complex if it sits in the fridge for a few days, so the flavors can blend and deepen. I didn't allow some of it that luxury, and dug right in with some gluten free Mary's Gone Crackers. It was spicy, tart, and so fresh-tasting. I wish there was a little more corn in there, but that's all I got out of my delicious ears.

The balsamic vinegar develops the flavor into a rich but fresh one, and it's a perfect accompaniment to a barbecue, a party, or an evening on the front porch. Time to settle back into life.

Corn and Black Bean Salsa

 
Fresh Corn and Black Bean Salsa Recipe
based on this recipe

1 1/4 cup cooked black beans
1 1/4 cup cooked fresh corn kernels, steamed and sliced off the cob
3/4 cup finely diced red onion, finely diced
3/4 cup bell pepper, any color, finely diced
1 jalapeno, minced
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup virgin olive oil
juice of 1 lime
Salt and pepper
1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley

Steam the corn. When it comes to cooking, corn is very versatile. After husking, cook corn by placing ears upright in a stockpot with 1 to 1-1/2 inches of water and a tablespoon or two of sugar. Cover the pot and let it steam for about 7 minutes after boiling begins.

Chop chop chopperoo. Rinse and drain the beans, and put them in a large bowl. Then chop each of the other ingredients on a cutting board, with a very fine dice, and put them in the bowl. Holding an ear of corn vertically, run your knife down the side to remove the kernels, then add the corn off the cob to the bowl. Stir the ingredients, add vinegar, oil, salt, pepper, and drizzle with lime juice. Refrigerate for up to 3 days, so the flavors can meld. Top with chopped parsley and serve with chips or crackers.

A quick sidenote you may be interested in: Summer Fest 2010 is going on right now, and this week's food is corn. You can read more about what that means here (Gluten Free Girl's Sweet Corn Risotto!), and feel free to join in with your own favorite corn recipe, or visit the various blogs that are cornin' it up today!

 

2 comments:

  1. That sounds really good! I'm going to have to try it :) ALSO the doctor told me yesterday that I need to start eating LOW GLYCEMIC as well. Darn it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like we were on the same page... check out my Grilled Corn and Serrano Salsa with Lime Cumin Vinaigrette...www.2besatisfied.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! :) Thanks for sharing the love. I just want to remind you that I don't accept spam comments. Cheers!

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs