Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Top Ten Gluten Free Recipes

It's almost time to take my 2009 Oriental Trading Company calendar off the wall of my office. I love that store. And their free calendar.

I think recipes change seasonally. What y'all are looking for, and what ingredients you have on hand. Karina, the gluten free goddess herself, had put up her own list of the top ten gluten free recipes on her site. The most requested, the most talked about.

I've gone through my own recipes and tried to figure out what's trendy around here in the last few days of 2009. Who knows what the new decade will bring. It could bring some delicious coconut cupcakes, or some cheesy cauliflower... we'll have to wait and see. As I look at the snow gently falling (and hear the tires screeching and sliding from my downtown office), I imagine what it will be like in summer again, when I'm trying to figure out how we can eat without using the oven so much. I still haven't solved that problem. Not until the boy dives in head first into the vegetables. I'm still waiting for that day.

Here's the top ten for 2009 - what you are all talking about and looking for!

10. Gummy Candy Car Racers
These are so fun and unique. Lauren, from Celiac Teen, even used the recipe to make her own worms for Worms and Dirt. Apparently these worms are even raising money for St. Jude's Hospital, thanks to Lauren and Simply Sugar and Gluten Free!

9. Gluten Free Herbed Focaccia Bread
I just made a batch of this last night. We keep it sliced, like bread, and frozen. Then, they are great retoasted in the oven to have with sloppy joes, hamburgers, or sliced smaller for breadsticks. The fan club seems to like these!

8. Cheese Brogies
These are a great Idaho favorite. The boy was just talking about them last night, suggesting we make them with Muenster cheese instead of part-skim mozzerella. I'm not sure I'm ready to venture outside the mozzerella department, but the meltiness of Muenster does make it tempting. Y'all are fans of brogies, too!

7. Gluten Free Snickerdoodles
These turned out delish! I wish they didn't have the ever-so-slight hint of quinoa aftertaste, since the flavor is so transparent. There's no chocolate, citrus, or anything else but lots of cinnamon, sugar, and butteriness to mask any weird flavors. These may continue to evolve.

6. Radish Chips
Oh, these are so good. They're unusual too. Next time you find some radishes, give these a try. They're healthy, and tangy.

5. Homemade "from a box" Fudgey Brownies
Now, this one doesn't surprise me a bit. These are the best brownies I've tasted, and they're double-chocolatey, which makes them worthy of a late-night weekend treat of couch cuddling in a Snuggie watching ridiculous episodes of Reno 911.


The only gluten free brownie you'll ever need


4. Raw Chocolate Pudding
This is a recipe the boy shares with his friends. No wonder you readers like this one. It's a great flavor, and I think the chocolate is the best. We tried to make it coconut flavor, but wow, the chocolate really brings it together. I may actually convince the boy that chocolate is worth eating! It's also healthy, with lots of great fats from avocado, and gentle sweetness from bananas. This is probably on our list for sweltering summer.

3. Gluten Free Oatmeal Ranger Cookie
A favorite of the boy. It reminds me so much of the day I called his mother for the recipe, several years ago. You guys are loving the oatmeal cookies.

2. Blueberry Compote on a Gluten Free Dutch Baby
This one is still in my book of experiments. I am still working on the dutch baby to get it just right. This was actually my last meal before turning gluten free for real. I was out with friends at the Original Pancake House - the place where the Dutch Baby is famous. Mind you, their dutch baby is not gluten free. But someday, I will get it just right. I think I need a different pan. Thank you for loving my dutch baby experiment, though! It's a fun one!

1. Pumpkin Custard Pie
This is the recipe you love the most. We've had this probably four times in the last few months. Thanks to Ginger Lemon Girl, we love it! My family loved it. My boy loved it. My dear sweet grandmother loved it. And you love it!

I've also noticed that gluten free blogging continues to evolve. Now, here's the trick - please tell me what you would like to see in the new year? What can I help you put on your table?

2 comments:

  1. Yummy wrap up of recipes. Have a sweet and healthy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you've got some money-raising gummies =D. Everything looks amazing! I'm drooling over those brownies. The oven is eyeing me down, I might have to make these!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! :) Thanks for sharing the love. I just want to remind you that I don't accept spam comments. Cheers!

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs