Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Pumpkin Custard Pie

I'm joining up for Adopt a Gluten Free blogger (November), and I want to tell you about amazing Carrie from Ginger Lemon Girl. Her blog is so insightful. Each post is well thought out, and she does amazing scientific studies (with control groups) to find out how to make the best possible gluten free food. Seriously, you gotta read about the Chocolate Chip Cookie study, because it's amazing. After more than a year, I learned why gluten free cookies can spread, but they don't have to!!

My eyes were so opened that I think I read most of her recipes in one (long) sitting. One of the things that moved me from my curled-up-on-the-couch-reading-a-great-blog stupor was the Cardamom Pumpkin Custard Pie. Carrie talks about "impossible" pies, that actually form their own crust as they bake. Seriously? And gluten free. The feats of science are amazing.

We've eaten this twice since I read about it the first time. The first time, I took it to my parents' house for dessert when most of the family was there. My grandmother, who is 95 and has a very active mind but a failing body, loved it. She has to be spoon fed, and I think most of the food she gets from my sweet, caring mother is bland and tasteless. The wonderful spices of the pie actually tasted like something, and my mom said she ate two pieces that night.

My little 18 month old niece also loved it. She's so cute - she eats with a fork by herself, and gave it her seal of satisfaction.

A few changes in the recipe though: I have yet to purchase some cardamom, even though I know it would make this recipe supreme. So it got left out. Also, we made it dairy free. The first time I used one can of regular coconut milk. The second time, for Thanksgiving, I used half a can of coconut milk, and then half sweetened vanilla rice milk. For others who do it dairy free, go with all coconut milk - it keeps it from "sweating" and is so much creamier.

Carrie, thank you for this delicious pie!



Pumpkin Custard Pie

Check out other wonderful bloggers at this month's Adopt a Gluten Free Blogger!

1 comment:

  1. Isn't Carrie wonderful? This pie looks simply delicious!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! :) Thanks for sharing the love. I just want to remind you that I don't accept spam comments. Cheers!

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs