Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Dairy Free Toffee Ice Cream - on a Gluten Free "Cone"!

Ice cream is in my blood. Not literally.

When I was 16, I went on my first date to a diner in downtown Boise, and to a school dance afterward. This was not a formal school dance, in fact, we were wearing pajamas. The vibe of the diner was electric, on a February Saturday night, and I loved it. My date was pretty fantastic too - he could sure cut a rug.

Several weeks later, I filled out an application and, nervously, handed it in. It was a slow Monday afternoon, right after school let out, and I sat in the parking lot, straightening my sweater and looking at myself in the tilted rear-view mirror. Ah, awkward teenage-hood.

Somehow, I got the job. I became a fountaineer. I worked at the diner for 4 more years, which included a transfer to another location (during college), and growing into other types of work there. I waited tables, greeted guests, and became an assistant manager. I learned the dance to "Splish Splash" and "The Lion Sleeps Tonight," and sang our invented birthday song with all my might. Mary Hopkin even sung it out from the jukebox: those were the days, my friend. I thought they'd never end :).

I moved on - college to finish. But, oh.

Ice cream is in my soul.

---

Last weekend, we spent a few minutes on the back porch of some friends, our elders by several decades. Role models to us. I want to be them when I grow up. We sat in the wooden swing, a few other friends in chairs around the patio. We looked at the dahlias in her garden, and talked about the willow tree that shaded the house. Our friend told us about coming across a book her father loved as a child, T-Model Tommy. We lingered, hesitating to stand up and leave this moment. Later, they fed us big bowls of home made ginger ice cream.

---

I asked the boy a few days ago to choose between toffee ice cream and blueberry. Toffee it was.

Toffee Ice Cream on a Gluten Free Cone

Not too bad for a camera phone. My sturdy camera sprouted legs while I was at camp.


Dairy Free Toffee Ice Cream
Made without an ice cream maker

2 eggs (pasteurized, if you prefer)
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 cups canned coconut milk
1/2 cup rice, almond or hemp milk

1/2 bag Heath brand Bits o' Brickle toffee bits (or regular Heath bits). The toffee bits are hard to find - go to Harmons!

In a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, whip eggs until they are fluffly. Slowly add the sugars, while the mixer is still beating. Add coconut milk and other milk, and keep whipping until it's frothy (really, you don't have to leave it on all day - just until you're tired of watching it. Maybe 2 minutes :).

Place the bag of toffee bits in the freezer so it can get cold.

Pour the ice cream base into a plastic container and place in the freezer for 12-24 hours (depending on how cold your freezer is). Take it out of the freezer and beat it again in the mixer several times, to incorporate more air and reduce the size of the ice crystals in the ice cream.

Someday, I'll own an ice cream maker. Like, maybe my birthday this year :).

Once the ice cream has set, or almost frozen, pour in the toffee bits and stir gently. If you pour them in too soon, they will start to dissolve.

Enjoy outside on a gluten free ice cream cone, like this one, maybe.

Gluten Free Cone!

Heat several tablespoons of oil in a large pan. Fry a small corn tortilla on both sides, until it just begins to stiffen (you can tell this when you lift it up with a fork). It will not brown yet, but once it barely stiffens, remove it from the heat, shaking gently off the excess oil. Immediately drop onto a plate of cinnamon-sugar, coating both sides. Then, flip it over to a flat surface and roll it into a cone shape. While it cools, place it top-down into a narrow cup or glass, so that it has a form to hold it's shape.

Oh, and eating out of this, it will drip out of the little hole in the bottom. Take this ice cream outside and enjoy it on the patio!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the Cone idea!! They sell GF cones in my local market, but they are super pricey. This is a fabulous idea that I will be trying out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the cone idea. Will have to try!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! :) Thanks for sharing the love. I just want to remind you that I don't accept spam comments. Cheers!

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs