Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Gluten Free Zucchini Muffins

Don't have much to say today, friends. Just watching the rain pound outside the windows, and enjoying every drop. I have a new neighbor who I'm still getting used to. Thank goodness for closed doors in June, when it's been hovering steadily in the 70s outside. Otherwise, it can be unbearable.

I love the combination of millet and sorghum, that I first tried with Karina's English muffin recipe. They have that same malty taste, and I was glad to come up with a use for my co-op zucchini. (You may remember my first zucchini debacle. This time, these were so tasty! And there was no black smoke to introduce them into the world.) I think I'll be taking some with me to camp in two weeks, where I will be providing some of the treats and recipes for the celiacs who attend.


zucchini-muffins


Gluten Free Zucchini Muffins

1/2 cup millet flour
1/2 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup potato starch
1/2 cup sweet rice flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons total: cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt

Whisk these dry ingredients together in a bowl until they become "one flour."

Then add in:

1 cup sour cream
2 large eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 1/2 - 3 cups zucchini, grated (for me, this was two medium zucchini)

Stir until completely combined. Prepare a muffin tin with baking cups, and spoon batter in until they are 3/4 full. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes. Allow to cool after baking (I'm serious - they're much better when they're room temperature!) This makes 12 muffins.
You can read about more Slightly Indulgent Mondays at Simply Sugar and Gluten Free!

3 comments:

  1. Perfect timing! I was just looking for a recipe like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw your submission to Slightly Indulgent Mondays & have 3 pounds of zucchini to use up before Thursday - so I rushed over to print and try! Thanks for participating. Your contributions have been so valuable.

    Amy Green
    Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just recently found your blog and appreciate your sharing your recipes with the rest of us. I notice that you and others use potato starch and/or tapioca starch in many of your recipes. I haven't used those starches because my husband is diabetic. Can you suggest an alternative?

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! :) Thanks for sharing the love. I just want to remind you that I don't accept spam comments. Cheers!

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs